Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Library of Savings

So I wanted to tell everyone how awesome libraries are. They are a free resource for just about everything. Not only books. I absolutely love books but there is more.

At our library there are puzzles, games, music, and books on cd. I have been wanting to get my daughter some puzzles that have interlocking pieces. Typically the puzzles run about $7-10 for one puzzle, unless you buy used or find a super good sale. Our library lets you check out the puzzles for 3 weeks. Plenty of time to learn the puzzle then you can switch for new ones. They have tons of melissa and doug puzzles, which I love, so I am already saving a ton by using this resource. Another upside is that when she grows out of the puzzles we won't have them laying around the house taking up space.
The library also has several classes going on. I just signed up for a knitting class, yoga class, and walking group, all free. I know every library has events happening so go find out what they offer. The library we went to is only one of several in our area, think of how many more resources we could find if we check out the other ones.
They also have a weekly book babies story time. It is interactive with games and songs and rhymes and of course books. So I am saving by not enrolling in costly mommy and me classes.

I have no idea why this picture turned out sideways but you still get the point. A couple weeks ago I looked into getting a subscription to a baby magazine called "Baby Animals." They are very cute and have poems, games, stories, and pictures of baby animals, which my daughter LOVES. I was so temped to get the magazine but then we started the cutting the budget experiment so I decided not to. I am so glad I didn't. The library has tons of copies of the magazine. I was thrilled to find them. Now we don't have to wait for them to come in the mail, we can pick one or two up any time we want.
Another thing I found was workout videos. I know work out videos isn't what you typically go to the library for but I used my Netflix account to rent work out videos to see if I liked them or not. I was browsing the workout videos and found one that my sisters both have used and love: The 5 mile walk at home. I am so excited to try it out. They actually had a lot of good ones. So I am saving by not having to buy the dvd. I can use it for the two weeks then get a different one then pick this one back up if I want. It will always be there to try when ever I want to add this to my routine.
And speaking of excercise I joined a 10 week walking program the library has set up. It is totally free and you get a pedometer, shirt, and weekly snack when the group walks. The group walks once a week and then you track your steps on the other days. They have goals to reach and a competition for who gets the most steps. It is so fun. I have met several really neat people. So no need to join a gym for now. Money in the bank yet again thanks to the local library.


And another resource I found at the library. Beautifully cataloged and organized is a box full of coupons. It is a coupon exchange. The "Live Your Life for Half The Price" book talks about a coupon exchange but I haven't ever seen one so I was pretty excited about it. I can browse through the sections pick the ones that I know I would use and choose a coupon. We had bee considering getting the Sunday paper to get coupons to help cut our grochery bill but this is fabulous. The greatest part is that not only are they all cut out for you, there are duplicates of every coupon. I found up to 4 of some coupons. So not every library may do this but it is worth asking about. It was isn't advertised or anything it was just sitting on a table, waiting for me to find. More savings in the bank.


So, now that I have bombarded you with all this info and praise about the library, check out your library, I would love to hear what other libraries offer.

2 comments:

  1. well, we talked about it already, but ours has a toy library where you can check out all sorts of really wonderful toys--ride ons and miniature golf sets, toy kitchens, etc.

    We love to take advantage of the family days and reading times, and classes too. The library has so much to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I know our library does story time, and of course we love getting books AND movies...but we definitely don't have different interest groups or coupon exchanges. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete