Sunday, November 21, 2010

Travel and Savings

Well, this month I haven't been home much, our house that is. I went to my hometown for my brother's wedding and stayed for two weeks. I think travel does something to you and your wallet. I really tried to stay on budget but we ate out a lot and hit all the second hand stores, and there were just things there that I ended up buying. One of my biggest frustrations was purchasing airport food. I really thought I had enough snacks and food to last, but on vacation and with how long it takes to get across the country both my daughter and I were starving at our layover. I tried to find something semi healthy but cheap as well but that doesn't happen in an airport. On the way home we had a 3 1/2 hour layover and after a 4 hour flight with a 3 hour one ahead of us I bought dinner. I know this month hasn't been the greatest money saving month but I also feel like I have held off spending much more than I previously have, so that is a victory. I feel like I have let myself down, sometimes it is so hard not to spend.

As Christmas gets closer I am so tempted by all of the beautifully displayed items in windows and magazines. We have a list of what we are getting for Christmas for each other and others but I have that weakness to buy things for my daughter, especially when I can justify it by adding it to our Christmas list. We decided her one present would be a toy kitchen but now it has grown to a few other things that I either found on clearance or second hand. I am contemplating skipping the kitchen all together and just give her what I have. On the other hand I have been looking for months to find that perfect kitchen. One that meets all my expectations and has the perfect price tag. I have yet to find it, and even made several attempts at re-purposing but didn't get far.

Another thing that has made it hard was that we had yet again another car issue come up as well as a couple other big ticket items. I am trying to keep my mind on denying myself of worldly goods but it is really tough. I haven't reinstated Netflix so far, which I am surprised I have made it so long with out. I am proud of myself when I do make good decisions about saving and I feel like we are still saving, maybe just not half our budget.

I have been learning a lot about money though. We had a few opportunities to shop at costco and Sams Club and I realized how much cheaper it was to shop there, as long as we use what we buy there. I realized that if I sat down and made a menu with similar items for the week we could get what we need for cheaper, make a bunch of it and have a weeks worth of meals ready to go. Like if I go on a Saturday and cook all day Sunday I would be ready to go for the week. Or I don't have to make it all on Sunday. But I think having a plan for your meals is a huge help.

Well, I think that is as long as I should make this post. I can't wait to see how our November budget turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment